INSPIRED BY… ART
Our stylist Christan is dropping by to tell us what… and who… is inspiring her right now.
Did I mention that this is a drawing?!
I’ve been surviving the winter blues by dreaming of the blue ocean in summer. I have a good friend who is, besides being a lovely person, extremely multi talented. She likes to do drawings of the ocean, sounds quaint right? But, Liana Repass’ drawings aren’t cute… they are the ocean, and like the ocean they are powerful, tumultuous, daunting, and stunning, but at the same time they are also majestic, fascinating, alluring, and calming.
The ocean is my refuge, my recharge, my sanctuary, so I’ve put together a room that feels like you are engulfed in the sea, the same way looking at one of Liana’s paintings makes you feel. Enjoy!
1. GRIFFIN MIRROR || 2. LUSTER AREA RUG || 3. RECYCLED GLASS BOTTLE || 4. PARSONS BOOKCASE || 5. DRUM STOOL || 6. HAMMOND BENCH
Spring is all about renewal. And nothing says renewal more than flowers—they are a great way to bring vibrant color and life to any space. And learning how to arrange flowers beautifully is a craft that comes in handy when celebrating any occasion, from brunch to birthdays.
Arranging a bouquet is like putting together an impressively designed room: start with the basics, and then add texture and layers to create a look that’s all you. Inspired by beautiful vases and containers, we’ve put together some of our no-fail, go-to tips and tricks for arranging a beautiful bouquet.
- AMADOUR BUBBLE GLASS BOTTLE: A bouquet doesn’t have to be huge. Sometimes the simplest flowers make the biggest impact so use a large, bulbous vase with a small opening to achieve effective minimalism.
- GLASS JAR VASE: For a rustic look, use a vase that resembles a jar. Stick with simple flowers that are all the same color so the vase and flowers have the maximum impact.
- CALLISTA PITCHER WITH METAL HANDLE: Think outside the vase. Pitchers and antique teacups are multi-dimensional vessels made for displaying beautiful blooms.
- ADAR VASE: In the spring or summer, line your vase with fruit. We suggest using oranges, lemons and/or limes with enough slices to fill the vase. Use a long spoon to push the fruit against the edge of the vase.
- OLIVIA CERAMIC POTTERY: If the vase has a pattern, stick with a monotone palette of white or light pink. Use different types of flowers to add texture and variety—dense flowers and airy smaller blooms are a great way to achieve tonality.
ON JEN’S MIND
Like clockwork, this time of year has me dreaming of spring. It always starts when the first batch of daffodils pop up. It just says spring is here…or at least almost here! The optimistic colors of spring—sunshine yellow and the green of sugar snap peas—inspires me to add a punch of color to both my outfits and home.
- Can’t wait to change out the closet and get back to all of the bright colors of spring. I’m totally inspired by this vintage dress.
- Fill the house with bunches of daffodils, exotic orchids and a menagerie of houseplants to create your very own greenhouse. Love bringing the outdoors in!
- Easily update your room for the spring by choosing a color that reflects your favorite part of nature. My favorite color is green.
- Farmer’s markets are one of my all time favorite places to visit. I love to fill my basket with the in-season fruits and veggies while being inspired by the color, textures and scents.
- Spending time outside, reconnecting with the neighbors and planning the spring garden are all things that I look forward to.
- Brighten up a room with a punch of lemon.
AND THE AWARD GOES TO…
Create your own red-carpet event at home—a night of A-list actors and actresses, a mix of elegant fashion masterpieces and all the glitz and glam you could ever want. The pinnacle of awards season has arrived, and we’re all about creating the perfect party setting for your award-night soiree (yes, in your living room!). Roll out the red carpet for your own A-list guests. Then, turn up the Hollywood glamour with gold and silver accessories. Fancy dinnerware is perfect for serving delicious appetizers as you gasp at stunning (okay, and some not so stunning) attire. These ideas will have you partying Hollywood style before you know it.
1. Roll out the red carpet for your guests.
2. Create an Oscar-worthy setting with a spread that sparkles thanks to the soft glow of candlelight.
3. Set the stage for a fun night with spotlight lamps.
4. Complete your décor with the glitz and glam of an A-list party with silver pillows (we recommend these and these!).
5. Set out a spread of delicious food and bowls of popcorn.
6. Finish with gold party chairs!
OUR STYLIST’S RUG PICKS
We envy Christan… a lot. She gets to style for a living, and not to mention, she has plenty of style in her own life. Christan selects what product will be featured in our catalogs, from the lighting down to the rug, so she constantly surrounds herself with beautiful things!
We asked her to come up with her favorite rugs that she’s working with these days and we must say… we just love her list. She even paired items to go with the beautiful area rugs. Can you see why we love her?
- FUEGO AREA RUG: This rug is an amazing addition to my living room. I live with an 18-year-old and a 14-year-old dog, so the indoor/outdoor rug is easy to clean if the old-timers can’t make it outside. Pair with the Sunflower™ Antiqued Gold Wall Mirror.
- MAYHEM AREA RUG: Another great indoor/outdoor rug. It’s soft, stain-resistant, and so vibrant. This rug would be beautiful on a sun porch with wicker furniture, lots of lanterns and big pillows. A perfect backdrop to eat Moroccan food and enjoy hot summer nights. Pair with the Ambrosia Lanterns.
- KERBY AREA RUG: This rug would be a great way to greet your guest in an entryway or hallway since wool repels dirt and is easy to shake out. Pair with this Slat Bench.
- PAYAS AREA RUG: My favorite rug to visit weekly on our site! I aspire to have this rug under a rustic farmhouse table. It’s a luxurious and beautiful hand-knotted New Zealand wool rug. Pair with the Edmund Dining Table.
- FRIT AREA RUG: This rug makes me want to play my guitar, wear cowboy boots and cotton dresses and run off to Marfa, Texas. It’s traditional and funky in all the right ways. Pair with the Recycled Accent Table.
See more area rugs here and read Christan’s last style post here.
Also, have you entered our Be a Guest Stylist Pinterest contest yet? It’s the final weekend so be sure to enter here for your chance to win a $2000 Home Decorators Collection gift card!