5 STEPS TO DECORATING SHELVES
Create an eye-catching bookcase, entertainment center or wall shelves with five easy steps:
1. Start with the books
2. Add bookends
3. Fill empty space with decorative items
4. Shelve items by type for symmetry
5. Step back to make sure shelves are balanced out
STACK THE BOOKCASE
Bookcases are a versatile choice for a blank wall, extra storage and showcasing your favorite photos and decorative items. Keeping these few things in mind, you can turn your bookcase into a visually appealing design element in no time.
Here are a few of our tried and true tips for filling a bookcase:
1. Simplicity: good. Clutter: bad. Try not to fill every inch of the bookcase with a hodgepodge of items.
2. Start by interspersing groups of books and alternating the stacks vertically and horizontally.
3. Use decorative bookends to hold books (of course) and add visual interest.
4. Mix in decorative accessories that are similar in theme, texture, material, color, etc. for a balanced look.
5. In order to complement your room’s design, carry over the same color scheme to your bookcase.
6. Add decorative boxes to conceal objects and supplies (this is great for the home office!).
1. Christina Open Bookcase / 2. Cornell Jug / 3. Decorative Wood Finial / 4. Sitting Dog Bookends / 5. Gavin Boxes / 6. Grey Antique Wood Book Boxes